Elder Justice Summit - SOLD OUT!
Partnering to Prevent and Respond to Abuse and Neglect of Elder and Dependent Adults
Attend the 2023 Elder Justice Summit on Wednesday September 20th from 8:30-4:30pm at the Doubletree Hotel in Rohnert Park, CA (Sonoma County). This Summit brings together leaders from a variety of disciplines to discuss proactive approaches to elder justice as well as the challenges facing dependent adults or those living with different abilities. Sessions will promote forward-thinking solutions to the challenges around aging and inspire participants to look to the future for innovative solutions.
The content of this Summit goes beyond talking about our demographic challenges, abuse prevention and response, or reiterating the challenges of serving the older adult and disabled communities. Rather, the content has been curated to envision future efforts and discuss on a systemic level what can be possible when it comes to creating a just society for all members, where older and disabled adults are recognized for their value while being supported in their needs through applying a collaborative, interdisciplinary approach.
This Summit is Ideal for:
- Adult Protective Services
- Elder Protection Partners
- Civil Attorneys
- Abuse Investigators
Summit Schedule/Final Sessions:
- 8:00-8:30am Check In
- 8:30-8:45 Welcome
- 8:45-9:45 Morning Keynote: Thomas Brennan, Deputy Attorney General 'Prosecuting Elder Abuse in California'
- 10:00am-11:15 Breakout Session 1
- 11:30-12:45 Breakout Sessions 2
- 12:45 pm LUNCH
- 1pm-2pm Keynote Speaker Marianna Sousa, Social Wellness Leader
- 2:00-3:00 Breakout Session 3
- 3:15-4:30 Closing Plenary and Reflections
Breakout Session 1:
- Myths vs. Reality in Working with Medical Professionals in Supporting Older and Dependent Adults: How Not to Get Lost in Translation between Fields Presenters: Dr. Charlotte Carlson, Dr. Wynn Canio and Dr. Todd Finnemore Moderated by Laura Rania, APS Section Manager Sonoma County
- Understanding the Harm of Ageism and Ableism in Preventing Elder Abuse Presenter: Ali Chiu, Lead Supervisor of Consultative Services, Elder Abuse Prevention (EAP), Institute on Aging
- Elder Justice Issues from the Perspective of District Attorneys’ Offices (Marin, Napa & Sonoma) Presenters: Carla Rodriguez, Lori Frugoli and Allison Haley
- Elder Abuse Forensic Center Model & a Neuropsych Perspective on the Complexity of Capacity Presenter: David Franklin, Psy.D., M.H.A.
- Innovations in Collaboration and Response to Elder Financial Exploitation Presenters: Jenefer Duane, and Lisa Schifferle, JD
Breakout Session 2:
- Investigating and Prosecuting Financial Fraud on the Federal Level Presenters: Gioconda Molinari, Robert Rees and Ben Wolinsky; Michael Froldan, FBI & Lee Kwok, FBI
- Reinforcing California’s Elder Justice Infrastructure: Committing to Equity and Inclusion Presenters: Lisa Nerenberg, MSW, MPH, Carol Sewell, MAG and Donna Benton, Ph.D.
- Elder Financial Abuse: What Financial Institutions Can Do to Prevent It Presenters: Shawna Reeves, MSW and Kirsten Fish Esq.
- Scammed: Why the Best in Us Creates the Worst for Us The Psychology of How Personal Narrative is an Unyielding Hook for Scammers Presenter: Dr. Todd Finnemore, Psy.D.
- Implementation of a 24-hour Crisis Intervention Response Team for Law Enforcement Presenters: Elece Hempel and Brian Miller
Breakout Session 3:
- Securities and Exchange Commission Efforts to Combat Fraud Presenter: Katie Fleet
- Deed Fraud Presenters: DA Lori Frugoli and Shelly Scott
- Money Smart for Older Adults Presenter: Jenefer Duane and Lisa Schifferle, JD
- Consequences of Oral Health Neglect in Elderly Presenter: Yolanda Mangrum, DDS, MAGD
- African American Elder Mistreatment Presenter: Donna Benton, Ph.D.
Closing Keynote & Reflections: Marianna Sousa